Hive World Terra

The Rise of Gorok Gorz - Ambush - Ambush by Kevin Francomb

This story is an unofficial story based, without permission, on the Warhammer/Warhammer 40,000 intellectual property owned by Games Workshop Ltd.

Review this chapter

Dusk was still six hours away, but already the sunlight was fleeing the day. The heavy rain and dark clouds only added to the gloom of the woods that were showing the first hints of autumn.

Gorok Gorz, an Ork Nob, muttered thanks to his favoured god Mork. The heavy rain and fading light helped conceal his boyz' position, which was important as there was a Planetary Defence Force squad just 20 long strides away. Faznock had spotted them whilst on point, it was lucky that they had been following the stream hoping to find a settlement with a road as the stream bed made a natural hiding place. Gorok and his mob had become separated from the main Ork army after a large force of Imperial Guard ambushed their column. His mob had taken 50% casualties before they showed the better part of valour and did a runner.

That's why they had headed into the woods and were now trying to make there way back to the main Ork force.

Gorok looked down at the streambed where his boys lay, they were frustrated and restless. Gorok knew this wasn't because they were tired, wet, hungry or because they had been sinking inch by inch into the dark brown mud that they lay in. It was because the enemy were close and Gorok had not given the order to attack yet and they didn't understand why. Gorok didn't care, he didn't need to be understood, he needed to be obeyed.

Gorok returned his attention to the PDF troops men in ill-fitting purple uniforms that in times of peace acted more like a reserve police force. Poorly trained with old equipment and lazy. They had erected a canvas shelter just a few minutes ago, with any luck they would be making …

"Tea's up" shouted an unnamed trooper from the shelter.

This is what Gorok had been waiting for. The PDF had none of the discipline that the Imperial Guard units have. The sentries headed hastily over to the canvas shelter to get out of the rain and their Ganna tea.

Gorok looked back to his mob and held out a fist, he had their attention now.

Bakrax da Mad was rocking back and forth his axe and choppa criss crossed across his chest. He was in the grips of fury now his gaze stuck on Gorok as if he intended to attack him at any moment. His eyes burned red and his deep breaths made big clouds of moisture in the air. In the lowest growl that Gorok could manage he said "We needz ta sneak up dis furst bit, den when I giz da signal we'z charge and kill da hummie scum."

"'Bout time," muttered Lyncha looking down at his shoota.

Gorok growled at the upstart, he would deal with Lyncha when the time was right.

Gorok was sure that each Ork would do his best to stay quiet as they crept out of the rain soaked streambed. This was not that easy when you're on average 7 feet tall 450 lbs, clad in layers of spiky metal plates of armour, chains, rings, and ammo suck all over, not to mention a weapon in each hand. Gorok Gorz knew they would be heard as soon as he himself started to crawl over the embankment. As he got to his knees he looked up and saw a trooper, mouth hung open with a look of horror drawn across his face. The time had come, Gorok took a deep breath, got to his feet and roared "WAAAAAAGGGGH …" He levelled his gun, raised his power choppa and started the charge.

The PDF troopers started to stumble out of their shelter, most did not have their lasguns and some still held their mug of tea. Gorok started shooting on the run and was glad to hear a few of his boyz had the same idea. Now Orks are not famed for being accurate shots at the best of times and these Orks are no exception. Even though each long stride brought the Orks closer to their targets Gorok didn't see any of the enemy fall. The shots did however keep the PDF troopers' heads down.

Gorok picked his target running straight at him, his stride closing the distance quickly.

Private Egan Goldstrum dropped his mug of tea and reach behind him for his lasgun. After 3 seconds he swallowed deep as he was unable to find it. This was just like that frak head Roan to hide his weapon. He turn back towards the on coming green skinned Ork and pulled his standard issue dagger determined to meet his fate like a man. The pig faced green skinned brute was nearly on him. Egan raised his dagger into the guard position.

Gorok aimed his power choppa at the mans head and swung. Gorok knew he'd beaten the mans guard as he noticed his victims head fly away from its body. His momentum took him past the trooper and red gore splattered against his hand, arm and face. He grinned as the scent of man blood filled his nostrils. This was the life. There was nothing that Gorok loved more than slaughter. Gorok took in the skirmish with his expert eye.

His boyz were making light work of the PDF troopers. Bakrax da Mad had run out of foe's and was digging at a trooper chest with his massive claws, the bloodlust had overtaken him.

Gorok smiled exposing his large tusks, before feeling a hammer blow against his armoured left leg. This was not wholly uncomfortable just the opposite in fact. As an Ork some pain caused him a certain amount pleasure, it is part of what makes an Ork an Ork. Gorok stopped, looked left and found the source of the impact.

Corporal Roan Kievlet couldn't believe it. He'd fired his lasgun on full auto at the giant beast who had just killed Private Egan Goldstrum and the thing was still standing. Roan had mixed feelings at the moment. Guilt at hiding Egans lasgun and fear, overwhelming fear at the pig face green brute giant alien before him. Roan wanted to reload or pull out his dagger and fight like Egan or even turn and run, but he could do nothing as the Ork strode towards him. Roan tried to remember the Emperor's prayer and failed completely. Roan closed his eyes and expected death to take him at any second.

As Gorok reached the trooper he realised that the screaming had stopped. He levelled his shoota and said "You, drop gun". Roan did as he was told. Maybe he wasn't going to die today.

Gorok grabbed the man by the front of his jacket and raised him so his feet were a clear foot of the floor and growl "AXNAZ get ere". Goroks 2nd came strolling over.

Gorok and Axnaz had been best boyz since before either of them had received their first scars and had shared every battle and mob fight they'd ever had. They had raced trucks together, played squig ball, killed and looted together over the last 25 years.

"Well, dey all dead yet?" Gorok asked.

"Tink so" said Axnaz "a fast git did a booter, Faznock iz huntin 'em down. Dey is all dead, except dis un."

"Ne one 'urt ?" asked Gorok.

"Naa. Tis ney fun when dey dis soft."

"Aye. Mark dis scum up and whack 'em in chains," said Gorok while waving Roan about a bit.

Axnaz smile showed his tusks. "Aye," he said as he took hold of Roan and walked towards the camp fire.

Gorok sniffed the air and caught whiff of the tea that was brewing, which smelled good. It would have to wait though. There were other things that needed sorting first. "ZORBEK, TAYOK, LOMAX." The three boys stopped poking the corpse they had started playing about with and they looked to their Nob. "Scout about da area, don't want nebody sneakin up on us now." They skulked off, Gorok knew they would do a proper job with Zorbek there. Zorbek was ambitious, young and eager to learn "future warboss" Gorok muttered under his breath.

Gorok picked up a corpse in each hand and joined Axnaz under the shelter by the fire. He dropped the bodies on the floor and idly picked at a mans eye with a claw. He looked up at Axnaz and nodded. Its was good to get out of the rain.

Axnaz enjoyed this bit. This PDF trooper, man, scum didn't even struggle as Axnaz sat on him by the camp fire that still had the tea pot over it. Axnaz looked around for a something to tie the prisoner up with. With nothing coming to hand Axnaz had another idea. He climbed off his prisoner and let Roan get up onto his knees. Axnaz pointed at Roans dagger. "Give me," said Aznaz adding a low growl.

Roan slowly pulled the dagger out of its holder. It was 9 inches long and not as sharp as it should have been. It was made of some poor quality cheap steal. He judged the daggers quality for perhaps the first time ever and considered leaping at the Ork. 'Die like a man' Roan thought to himself. Better to live, he handed the dagger over and said "to the highest bidder, eh?". Smack, there were bright white stars blinding Roans eyes before he blacked out. Roan didn't know what hit him.

Aznaz looked over to Gorok and said "who needs chains" before bursting into laughter.

Gorok joined him with his monstrous laugh, slap stick was very very funny. He led back against the second dead body. "This is da life."

Review this chapter